Friday, September 01, 2006

Alone?

I turned my head and saw yet another wisp of smoke on its way to nothingness: a solitary person, completely alone—no children, no family, no friends—yet working obsessively late into the night, compulsively greedy for more and more...

It's better to have a partner than go it alone.
Share the work, share the wealth.
And if one falls down, the other helps,
But if there's no one to help, tough!

Two in a bed warm each other.
Alone, you shiver all night.

By yourself you're unprotected.
With a friend you can face the worst.
Can you round up a third?
A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped.


How often do you feel that you are the only person in the world?

Are your seemingly close relationships really shallow and transitory?

Do you have a place "where everyone knows your name," a place where you belong, a place where you can be truly you?

1 Comments:

Blogger scriv said...

I agree--i'm really excited about the potential of this blog. I returned to Ecclesiastes recently--just during some times while best friends were dealing with cancer--others around me dealing with death---still others finding such struggle in the day in and day out of life. I found myself struggling--knowing in some of the cases i only knew some of the weight of their frustration, hurt, and fight--it was still very heavy for me--very personal. I too found myself bearing my own doubts and questions about things i thought i had completely dealt with in my life. Introspection like--well, it all sucks--so, when everything crashes down around ME--will i give up? One day i may be all alone--will God be enough? Is He enough?

Ecclesiastes has helped me. Not like a self-help book listing out the top ten things to do when experiencing grief or doubt. No, Ecclesiastes is the ANTI-self-help book. The contradiction--the pessimism--the overall fight with this life--it somehow is coming alive to me--AND IT'S REFRESHING. Well, it has not been a fun journey--but i'm in the thick of life--life the way it is. So, are we alone? Is this all just smoke? Obviously--the hope i'm re-discovering on some levels--is a hope that is real and beyond what is "under the sun".

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats